Chadderton Hall


CHADDERTON
HISTORICAL
SOCIETY
(Founded 1975)
Chadderton,
Lancashire
England

Foxdenton Hall



The Constitution
Chadderton Town Hall Centenary
Avro History
Chadderton Cotton Industry
Chadderton Hall
Chadderton Listed Building
Chadderton Organisations
Chadderton-the-town and its-people
Chadderton Town Crier
Christmas Lights
Current Newsletters
Family History and Research 
Foxdenton Hall
Friends of Foxdenton
Geoff Tootill, Baby Computer

Henry Taylor  Olympic Gold Medallist
Heritage Centre
History of Local Government
Long Serving Councillors

Lydia Becker, Suffragist
Membership and Chs Publications
Members of Parliament  Chadderton
News of the Year, Chadderton
Peterloo
Places of Interest and Parks
Places of worship  education
Program of Events 01 to date
School Local History Projects
Secretary's Report
Sir Philip Sidney Stott

 
Chadderton Town Hall c1930
This was the second town hall and was opened in 1913.

Since April 1974, Chadderton has formed part of the newly created Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, one of the ten districts in the new County of Greater Manchester - a county which no longer possesses a county council. Historically, Chadderton remains part of Lancashire and this is its correct postal address.  

         

The official Coat-of-Arms of the former Chadderton Urban District Council, granted by the College of Heralds in September 1955. Before that date an unofficial insignia was in use. The shield has emblems which represent the manorial history of Chadderton.

The crest symbolises the main industries of the town: textiles, engineering, and aircraft production.

The Society has links with several regional and national bodies concerned with the promotion of history: 

Affiliated to the Historical Association - No.35186

Member of the British Association for Local History -No.920623B

Member of the Lancashire Local History Federation.   

  "PRESERVING AND PROMOTING THE HISTORY OF CHADDERTON"

Chadderton, a town of some 33,000 people lies in the foothills of the Pennines in the south-east of the county of Lancashire. It is situated on the edge of the Lancashire coalfield, and is drained by the River Irk and several of its tributaries. The land is generally undulating, rising from around 90 metres [300 feet] above sea level in the west to about 140 metres [450 feet] in the east, although the hilliest parts are in the north where a maximum of 155 metres [509 feet] is reached at Chadderton Heights.

The name Chadderton - ancient alternatives being Chatterton and Chatherton - is derived from the Celtic 'Cader' or 'Cater' signifying a fortified place in the hills, with the Anglo-Saxon suffix 'tun' indicating a settlement. After the Norman Conquest the township formed the south-eastern boundary of the Fee or Estate of Tottington, with the Barons Montbegon of Hornby Castle, near Lancaster, and later the Barons Lacy of Clitheroe Castle, as the great overlords.

Under the feudal system Chadderton had its own local lords, and the Manor of Chadderton and Foxdenton was of importance at county and national level, providing Lancashire with six High Sheriffs, and the Isle of Man with a Governor. Other members of the manorial families resident at Chadderton and Foxdenton Halls, were to be knighted by various monarchs for services to the nation ad crown. The most famous people who were descended from the original manorial family were William Chadderton, Bishop of Chester and later Lincoln, and Lawrence Chadderton, first Master of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and one of the co-translaters of the Authorized Version of the Bible.

Within the Duchy and County Palatine of Lancashire, Chadderton formed part of the Hundred of Salford for civil jurisdiction. In 1873, a Local Board of Health was formed to administer the growing town and, in 1894, this became an Urban District Council of eighteen members. For ecclesiastical purposes Chadderton was originally part of the Parish of Prestwich-cum-Oldham, within the extensive Diocese of Lichfield. This was later divided to form the Diocese of Chester, and eventually the Diocese of Manchester.


The Chadderton Historical Society was founded in May 1975, just twelve months after local government re-organisation and in the past quarter century has undergone periods of expansion and consolidation . Our first meeting place was the historic old school in Healds Green, which dates from 1789, and it was amid such rural surroundings that the Society became established on the local scene.

Eventually the need to find a more suitable location,closer to the centre of Chadderton life and more convenient for public transport, led to the Society approaching Oldham MBC in 1986, to enquire about the use of Chadderton Central Library for meetings, displays of material and storage of artefacts. Support and permission were forthcoming and in May 1987, the Twelfth A.G.M. was the first meeting to be held at the library.

As the membership increased, and our archives continued to grow, it became obvious that premises of our own, where permanent displays of material could be exhibited, were required in the long term. In 1996, the Society took its first step towards obtaining suitable premises in Chadderton Town Centre where a 'Heritage Centre' could be established. This project has not been without its problems but is is hoped that in the not to distant future we will see the scheme become a reality.

Back in 1991, the Society was re-organised, gained charitable status, and adopted a constitution. In this document our main objective is stated to be: "...to promote the advancement of education by developing public interest in all aspects of local history."

In furtherance of this objective the Society is empowered to:

a) Undertake original research into aspects of Chadderton's history;

b) Make available to the public the results of such research;

c) Undertake the compilation and organisation of local history material which shall form the archives   of the Society;

d) Undertake the organisation of displays of local history material.

e) Carry out archaeological excavations with guidance from professional bodies;

f) Provide comment and give advice, when required, on matters appertaining to the history and heritage of Chadderton;

g) Invite guest speakers to address members of the Society on subjects of a historical nature;

h) Organise visits to places of local and general interest.









The sister site www.chadderton-hs.freeuk.com 
has been chosen for inclusion in the

BRITISH LIBRARY'S Archives.
http://www.webarchive.org.uk
Arts & Humanities/History

Chadderton Historical Society

Registered Charity No. 1003804

Officials

Patron:  Nicholas Radclyffe, Director of the Foxdenton Estate Company.

President: Rtd. Cllr. Jim Greenwood.

Vice-President: Councillor Colin McClaren,

Chadderton Community Council 'Champion'.

Chaplain

Rev. David Penny, Vicar of St. Matthew and St Luke Church

       Chairperson & Trustee  ......................... Mark Johnson.

       Vice-Chairperson & Trustee................... Christine Dennis

       Secretary & Trustee................................ Michael Lawson  B.E.M. B.Ed.,M.A.

       Treasurer & Trustee................................ Denis Barrott.    

        Other Trustees: ......................................  Trevor Ashworth,  Michael Scallon

                                                                             Brian Kennedy,   Janet McLaren

        Newsletter, Email and Website Sec: & Trustee ..................... Enid Johnson

Background music, 'Greenwood' , unknown composor. 
 

This page has been seen

times

 

The Constitution | Avro History | Chadderton Cotton Industry | Chadderton Hall | Chadderton Listed Buildings | Chadderton Organisations | Chadderton-the-town and its-people | Chadderton Town Crier | Christmas Lights | Current Newsletters | Family History and Research | Favourite Links | Foxdenton Hall | Friends of Foxdenton | Geoff Tootill | Henry Taylor | Heritage Centre | History of Local government | Long serving Councillors | Lydia Becker | Membership and CHS publications  | Members of Parliament | News of the year | Peterloo | Places of Interest and Parks | Places of Worship and Education | Programme of Events 2001-ToDate | School Local History Projects | Secretary's Report | Sir Philip Sidney Stott  

             Last Modified:  10/08/2016  Copyright Chadderton Historical Society 1999-2016