by Taylor and Simister of Oldham, to be "a broad and
strong treatment of the English Renaissance",
and was opened in 1913.
weddings, Birthdays, Dances and other functions,
[Bookings and information through 0161 911
The architects were Taylor and Simister, while Toft of London
completed the figure.
This Cenotaph is
to be found in the grounds of the Chadderton Town
Hall, Middleton Road.
Every year the
small memorial garden has a different theme. Last year
it was the Chadderton Historical Society's Silver
Jubilee and Oldham Parks & Recreation made a
superb tribute for this occasion. The War Memorial was
unveiled in 1921, by Councillor Ernest
The Library was
the gift of the American, Andrew Carnegie
and was opened in 1905.
Originally, there was a dome with a flagpole above the main
entrance but this was removed during the 1940's.
Chadderton Swimming Pool
and Sports Centre
Middleton Road, Chadderton
The Swimming pool within
the Sports Centre was the training pool for Henry
Taylor the Olympic Gold medallist who died in 1951.
Many of his medals and memorabilia are on show. For
further information about this remarkable swimmer,
please access the Chadderton Historical Web Site:
Parish of St Matthew was formed in 1844. The first
Church building consisting of a small wooden hut, was
erected in 1848 on the banks of the River Irk at Cragg
Road but this was subsequently burn't down. Plans were
prepared by the architect, Mr. E. H. Shellard, for a
permanent church of which the estimated cost was
£1,600. These were the days of the private pew
and of the 400 seats planned for the new church, half
were to be rent free.The
church was eventually consecrated on 9th November
1857, by Dr. J. Prince-Lee, the first Bishop of
Manchester, but was not completed to the original plan
steeple was built in 1881 by Mr Daniel Hague as a
memorial to his wife. Six years later the chancel was
completed and new window, altar, reredos and organ
added to give that final touch to what is a very
pleasant church set in largely rural
Taken from the book 'Chadderton Chapters' by Michael
courtesy of John Johnson
Coalshaw Green Park
This park was gifted by Marjorie Lees as a memorial to her father
. It was established in 1912 and the Centenary
will be in May 2012.
The park has benefited
with the input of the Friends of Coalshaw Green Park
led by Barbara Wilson, M.B.E. Barbara recently was
honoured with this title for the sterling work
and her Friends had achieved.
is the latest Green Flag which the Park has been awarded. The park has
now five 'Green Flags',
which is a tremendous
The award is given only for the following
very strict criteria:-
A welcoming Place
Healthy, Safe and Secure.
Maintained and secure.
Conservation and Herita
courtesy of John Johnson
has a skateboard facility, Childrens' play area, two good bowling
greens and an excellent
where the "Friends" host a variety of social occasions for the
Veterans, and other groups.
updated 26/02/2017 copyright Chadderton Historical Society 1999/2017